What is male infertility?
According to the World Health Organization and the International Committee Monitoring Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ICMART), failure to get pregnant is defined as clinical infertility if pregnancy is not established after 12 months or more of regular unprotected sexual intercourse. While either one or both of the partners may contribute to the reproductive challenges of the couple, male infertility, like female infertility, is a clinical diagnosis that can only be determined after formal assessment and testing.
How common is male infertility?
One in eight couples have trouble getting pregnant or sustaining a pregnancy. Approximately one-third of infertility is attributed to the female partner, one-third attributed to the male partner and one-third is caused by a combination of problems in both partners or, is unexplained.
Male infertility is more common in environments with high levels of environmental pollution, including water contaminants, pesticides and herbicides. Some recent population studies have suggested that sperm counts have been declining universally even though infertility has not been increasing substantially.
What causes male infertility?
In at least half of male infertility cases, doctors cannot identify an exact cause. For the remaining cases, infertility is either due to environmental, genetic or other identifiable factors.
Common Environmental Causes of Male Infertility
- Excess heat, for example due to the male’s occupation, such as truck drivers, welders, or firefighters, or habits, such as excessive use of the hot tub or tight clothing.
- Drugs, including certain antibiotics and prescription medicines, anabolic steroids, alcohol, marijuana.
- Toxicants, such as pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals, lead, mercury, or paint
- Excess exercise, including bicycling
- Chronic disease, such as anemia, malnutrition, cancer, neurological disease, or diabetes
- Dietary deficiencies, such as zinc, vitamin C, folic acid
- Varicocele, a condition in which the veins enlarge inside the scrotum
- Diseases of the male genital tract, including infection, cancer, trauma, or retrograde ejaculation
- Surgery on the male genital tract, such as for the treatment of undescended testicle, or hernia
Genetic Causes of Male Infertility
- Mutations inside the genes that determine the male sex, called the Y-chromosome
- Other irregular changes in the genes. For instance, some men have a condition called Klinefelter’s XXY syndrome in which they have an extra copy of the female-sex determining genes (the X chromosome)
- Hormonal issues, such as: diabetes, high levels of the milk-producing hormone prolactin, or problems with the hormone-producing organs like the thyroid or adrenal gland
Male Infertility Treatments
Not all male infertility is permanent or untreatable; it is not uncommon for men to treat infertility through one or a combination of actions.
- Avoiding damaging environmental factors, such as smoking, heat exposure, heavy exercise, toxicants, certain drugs, or excessive alcohol
- Reducing stress
- Taking medications,which include antibiotics (if an infection is suspected); fertility medications (Clomiphene, Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) or LH/FSH injections)
- Vitamins, such as folic acid, zinc, or L-carnitine
- Alternative medicine. However, certain types of herbs may be harmful. Acupuncture is generally not harmful or helpful.
- Surgery, such as reversing a vasectomy or repairing a condition called a varicocele, in which the veins inside the scrotum are enlarged
- In vitro fertilization, which is usually done via a process called Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
ABOUT DR. ANOOP GUPTA
Senior Consultant, Director and Infertility Specialist
Dr. Anoop Gupta performs exceptionally well in providing the international level infertility treatments at his super specialty clinic in Delhi, India which is known to all as Delhi IVF & Fertility Research Centre, since the year 1994. Delhi IVF aims at providing the finest medical, emotional, ethics, moral, and most advanced technical support to the couples who are trying to find the solution for their infertility problem.
We are specialized in each and every regard of infertility and provide the extensive services to our patients in IVF, IUI, ICSI-IVF, Assisted Hatching, Embryo Donation, Male Infertility, Surrogate Motherhood, Semen Banking, Embryo Freezing, Natural Infertility Treatments, Sexual and Psychological Problem and try to give emotional and moral support to the infertile patients.
Delhi IVF is a Fertility Research Centre which offers specialized infertility treatments with the help of latest and advance technique for IVF-ET, IUI, IVF – ICSI, assisted hatching, blastocyst culture, Embryo Donation, Egg donation, and Surrogacy. Delhi IVF has the highest success rates for IVF treatments and has a State-of-the-Art Lab equipped with fully latest tools and equipments for infertility treatment, in-house team of potential experts, located with 24 hours emergency services. Our infertile patients get all of these under the one roof.
Dr. Anoop Gupta is a Member of ESHRE (European Society of Human Reproduction & Embryology), ASRM (American Society of Reproductive Medicine), UNFDPA (United Nations Family Development Programme) and he has also attended a number of National & International conferences related to ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology) & presented many papers.
Delhi IVF was founded by Dr Anoop Gupta, a renowned pioneer in fertility medicine, to bring the most advanced reproductive care to people of all cultural, ethnic and economic backgrounds who have one thing in common: the desire to have a baby..
Delhi IVF is a patient-focused organization that offers every new patient the value of its more than 20 years of experience and the trust it has earned by helping thousands of patients with life’s most important journey. We believe that everyone should have their best chance to achieve this dream, regardless of financial background, sexual orientation and ethnicity. Our infertility treatments are affordable and cost-effective defining the best medical care.
World Class Fertility Treatment
Highest Success Rate
25 Years of Experience
REASONS TO CHOOSE DELHI IVF
- Offering state-of-the-art fertility treatments
- Treating patients with extra-care during the complete treatment process
- Highly qualified and dedicated staff from medical and non medical disciplines, with advanced equipment and modern technology.
- Developing innovative programs to provide affordable fertility treatments and care
- Empowering patients with resources, tools and services offering information, education, treatment management and stress reduction.
- Our staff has extensive experience in infertility treatment, surrogacy and egg donation services.
- Continually advancing fertility treatment, service and outcomes
If you have undergone IVF treatment at another clinic, has it made you disappointed that every time a different doctor attended you? You were indirectly forced to share your problem every time to a different nurse? Are you having trouble getting the feedback or explanations you need ? At Delhi IVF, all the treatment ( including the consultation, all the ultrasound scans, egg collection and embryo transfers are done personally by by the same doctor). The buck stops with us, we understand your condition and do not delegate any part of your IVF treatment to different doctors and nurses.